Thursday, November 17, 2016

Mary Prince: Slavery

The fact that The History of Mary Prince is written almost identical to the way in which she recites it gives the readers a better relationship with the story being narrated. Mary Prince was born into slavery and she describes this life as, "Ah, poor me! -- my tasks were never ended. Sick or well, it was work -- work -- work" (594). When she is first sent into auction the bystanders went about their lives overlooking the pain of a mother and her children who were about to be separated. Prince states, "slavery hardens the white people's hearts" (589). Slaves were seen as property where the wickedness of the masters could engulf their anger. Often the abuse that they endured had the consequence of death and even death was looked upon, "like poor Hetty I could escape from this cruel bondage and be at rest in the grave" (591). Prince explains that the reason as to why such cruel punishment was tolerable was because the people of England knew very little about it. She believed that if she told her story and those of others it would reach the good people of England and they would have the power to break their chains and give them freedom. "I cannot pass by those of my fellow-slaves-- for when I think of my own griefs, I remember theirs" (595). Prince describes her relationships with others in great detail whether it be with masters or other slaves. We sympathize with their pain. When Prince goes out to find a new master she finds it odd that Mr. D-- replies, "'that I should not be sold to any one that would treat me ill.' It was strange he should say this, when he had treated me so ill himself" (596).  There seems to be an importance of reputation among the slave masters because they never want other white people to know what truly goes on in their land.

No comments:

Post a Comment