Monday, December 5, 2016

Persuasion - Endings 12/6

I'm really interested in the differences between the published ending, and the alternate.  I would definitely say the published ending is more romantic - a love letter confession is much more enticing than the uninformed meeting of Anne and Wentworth in the alternate ending.  Perhaps that's why Austen chose to rewrite the ending in the first place; it's obvious she always intended for Anne and Wentworth to marry, but why force them together through two relatively unimportant character (The Crofts) at the very end?  Seems very rushed, definitely like a first draft.  Forcing them together in that way, takes away from 1. the romantic element of the letter, and 2. their choice in the matter. Technically, it still would have been their choice to marry, but with the letter, the reader understands that it was entirely of Wentworth's own accord to reach out to Anne and mend the engagement.
After discussion on Thursday, we discussed Austen's personal life, and Anne as an autobiographical character.  In both endings, Anne and Wentworth live happily every after; Austen never married, but we discussed her possible opinions on love & marriage, and how she believed to two should go hand-in-hand.  So, it's interesting (and not at all surprising), that the two characters end up together.  In fact, most of Austen's novels end in happy marriages.
One question on the ending: Anne originally does not marry Wentworth because her friends and family did not approve of his social status, and did not find him suitable to marry.  If the entire novel is a satire about social class, why does Austen choose to have Wentworth become suitable? Why not have Anne "follow her heart," and marry him despite her family's opinions?

1 comment:

  1. I also think the published ending chapters are much better. For me, the conversation between Anne and Captain Harville is one of the most interesting things in the novel. It would be a shame if that commentary was never included. I think the way that Anne and Wentworth get together in the published ending feels more natural than the alternative ending. The unpublished version was rushed. I can't say for sure why Austen wouldn't just have Anne choose Wentworth despite suitability but I don't think that Austen actually agrees with the "follow you heart" approach. Family was important to Austen and I don't think that she wants to encourage people to disregard their family's wishes. Anne even admits that while giving Wentworth up because of Lady Russel and her family's aversion to the match was hard it was still the right choice. She says, "I was right in submitting to her, and that if I had done otherwise, I should have suffered more in continuing the engagement that I did even in giving it up, because I should have suffered in my conscience". I think Austen wants balance between the rigid social structure and individual's desires.

    ReplyDelete