Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sensibility in Vol. III

Continuing on the topic of sensibility, I would first like to discuss my opinions on a few of the passages pointed out by Dr. Porter on Tuesday.  In the first passage, Desmond is speaking of politics.  He states, "their great hope, however, is in the confederacy of 'the kings of the earth' against it" (207).  I believe this is satire, as moments like these throughout the book usually are.  It's not uncommon for Desmond to be satirical, however, I suppose it does speak to his sensibility.  Smith is obviously in favor of the Revolution, but I also think she's attempting to progress more radical ideas of sensibility.
In the second passage, Montfleuri is declaring his love for Fanni to Desmond.  He's very openly expressing sensibility and emotion here.  He states, "I have vowed a hundred times never to marry, but this beautiful little Englishwoman who can resist" (236)?  This is interesting to me for a couple reasons.  At first, I found Montfleuri's sentiment to be a little over the top, much like one would see coming from a female character.  But after this line, I realized that while his sentiment was still dramatic, it also wasn't entirely uncharacteristic.  The way in which he refers to Fanni as a "beautiful little Englishwoman" makes her seem delicate and fragile.  Maybe I'm reading into it a little too much, but this statement seems in reference to old-school sensibility. 
I was very interested in Geraldine's reaction to her her husbands death.  On page 327, "I hope not unkindly remark, that Verney does not suffer, as many people do, great irritation of spirits, from excess of sensibility." I'm not sure how genuine this is because after his actual death, she responds with absolute happiness.  Not that she shouldn't be happy, she wasn't in the best marital situation, but this does reveal a lot about both her sensibility and the idea of sensibility itself.  It's interesting that even though she detests her husband, she hopes he does not suffer a death so horrible as one filled with sensibility.  And what does her excitement say about women and their affinity towards emotion and duty? 

No comments:

Post a Comment